Thursday, October 28, 2010

My October


"HOPE".....it has a great ring to it doesn't it? It also is what millions of women who have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer cling to in order to get through treatment. I have had several women in my family affected as I'm sure many of you have too......but I thought it was even more important this "Breast Cancer Awareness" Month to remind people that this ISN'T our *grandmother's* disease anymore!
*Men
*Women in their 20s
*Women in their 30s

THESE are people being diagnosed as well----early detection is EVERYTHING. I fully believe in what my mom has told me since I was little, "you know your body better than ANYONE," it doesn't mean that I think everyone should go running screaming to their Dr for a mammogram, but if you feel something suspicious, do NOT let "you're too young to get Breast Cancer" be the reason you don't.


I made the first "HOPE" Bangle for a teacher friend of my Sister-in-law, a wonderful woman who had just recently been diagnosed and had begun treatment. I have always had kind of a gut feeling when I saw those pink ribbons....but I didn't want them to just be a reminder of what she "had", I wanted them to be a reminder of what she would conquer. When I made this bangle I also had no idea how it would grow in popularity! I posted a picture of it into my online album of "Arm Candy" on Facebook and was hit with requests for orders-------so in total I have made 5 this month, with 1/2 of the proceeds benefiting the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

As I have said before, I love to paint and have loved that people can now *wear* my artwork....what better than to have artwork with a purpose?


Love & Cupcakes,
Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment